[OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice.

Subject: [OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice.
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 09:40:08 -0800
PS has had specific dual-processor support built-in for many years now.
In fact, you can, if you pay close attention, see (on the startup
splash) it load the DP support module when it starts up. PS is
significantly faster (in my experience, as well as in benchmarks I've
seen) in DP or DC systems than in single processor or single-core
systems. Enough so that it was worth the cost for me to upgrade to a
dual Xeon system last time I built a new one, and that my old,
dual-Pentium system served me a couple of years longer than would have a
single-processor machine.

Beyond PS, however, I completely agree that most of the run-of-the-mill
off the shelf software benefits little from dual processors--especially
with the ATA disks typically used in home systems. To see benefits in
other aspects than PS from dual processors in home systems, one needs to
configure the entire system to take advantage of them (with things like
a SCSI disk subsystem).

---
Scott Gomez