[OM] Re: OM accessories on a 5D

Subject: [OM] Re: OM accessories on a 5D
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:41:41 -0500
I answered my own question.  While the 5D doesn't have as much of a
pentraprism bulge as the cameras that have built-in flash it does have
some.  If I'd reviewed Moose's comments on this from long ago or thought
about it a bit more I'd have realized that *any* protrusion ahead of the
lens flange is a problem for the Oly bellows.  The problem is the long
extension lever on the lens release "button" for the camera/bellows
mounting flange.  It needs to swing through the arc that is encompassed
by mounting a lens but the long extension lever strikes the pentaprism
bulge.  The solution is a short extension tube between Canon body and
Oly bellows flange.  It could be a Canon tube or Oly tube depending on
where you place the OM-EOS adapter.

I have a 12mm OM Vivitar tube which does work.  However, it can just
barely focus on a slide with full frame (1:1) coverage.  It would be
better and a little less cramped on focusing motion if I had a 7mm Oly tube.

I only had time for a couple of quick test slide copy shots before I had
to give the camera back.  I shot in auto mode with the 50mm macro at f/8
and got passable but generally underexposed images.  Dust is just as
visible on the slides as if I had used my film scanner.  I was hoping it
would be less evident.  Image contrast seems high but maybe that is just
the underexposure.

I can see that this will take a lot of practice and trials which I
didn't really have time for.  But the setup can be made to work.  The
real question, which I can't answer yet, is whether the images are in
any way competitive with the film scanner.

Chuck Norcutt