[OM] Full E-330 review on dpreview

Subject: [OM] Full E-330 review on dpreview
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 16:06:17 -0800
Phil is underwhelmed by the E-330
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse330/>.

I haven't read the full review yet, thought I'd post first. From his
conclusions page, it appears that some shortcomings are significant to
me, and largely expected.

The 1.7/1.4 sec. start-up and awaken times are still not right or
competitive. The noise tests aren't meaningful to me, as they are JPEG
only and Oly has chosen to over suppress noise at iso 800, softening the
image too much. Maybe there will be more info deeper in the comparison
tests. In any case, looks like noise will be about like the E-300 & 500,
ok, but not great.

Some others don't really matter to me. All of the various carping about
JPEG limitations are nothing compared to the news that Oly finally have
got some card write speed for RAW files. With RAW write speed of just
over one sec., I wouldn't be using JPEG anyway. Also, the USB 1.1
doesn't mean much, as I use a card reader anyway.

I don't think he "gets" the live view. For some, his review of this will
be correct, for others, it will be the breakthrough feature. Phil likes
the E-500 better. I have no interest in the 300 or 500, but am still
intrigued by the 330.

Moose