[OM] : Confession time + Zuiko notes

Subject: [OM] : Confession time + Zuiko notes
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:03:52 +1300
Wayne wrote

> I guess it had to happen eventually.  A few days ago I was offered a NIB
> E-300 with 14-45mm at a price I couldn't refuse, so now I have it.  First
> impressions: Well balanced, controls well placed, auto focus seems reliable,
> ESP
> metering works pretty well, menu navigation ok, colour excellent, bokeh of
> 14-45
> bad, lens sharpness seems a bit lacking.  Here are a few examples shot near
> work
> or home, hand held, aperture priority mode, ESP metering, just resized and
> sharpened a bit:

Nice photos.  I especially like the one of the dried thistle seed-heads.

Also the B&W shot.

The bokeh of the shot of the rusty wire with grass in the rear is just what
you'd get with any lens and a busy background like that is. I bet any lens will
do about the same. The background is just too finely textured with a fine
contrasty grid of dried grass stems. Period.

And the shot of the back-lit leaves with little specks of bright sky showing
through the tree canopy behind; well that bokeh is equally predictable; in fact
I've got a very good lens or two which would yield lots worse bokeh in that
situation. At least they are not "O"-rings !!

Have fun Wayne. It's a whole another experience, not to mention
convenience.

Somebody mentioned using OM lenses on an E body.

Although I am not on the position of being able to compare with ZD macro
lenses, I am very happy with using a Zuiko 50/3.5 macro on the E-1 to copy
old B&W (often sepia) prints. Old, as in more than 100 years old.

I set the exposure evaluation mode to central mode only, and the EV to
minus 1.7. Minus even more if there is a lot of bright white such as dresses
that I want to catch the detail of.  Although I can't work miracles, it's
amazing
how much detail is sometimes in these old prints.  Most of them are
professional studio prints and can be quite sharp, and usually printed "soft" I
think it is; very non-contrasty anyway. The amateur photos however, were
usually processed by a chemist (pharmacist to some people) or their
contractor, and are often very contrasty. They are hard work to get nice.

I am using these shots for web display. Just for fun I should get one or two
printed full size on paper, to really test the copying..

Brian