[OM] Re: Boy, did I stir up a storm !

Subject: [OM] Re: Boy, did I stir up a storm !
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 18:27:14 -0500
At 02:47 PM 3/14/2006, you wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>Well, I certainly did start something with my Digtal SLR questions the
>other day.  Thanks to everyone who responded, both on and off list.

yeah, I haven't had that much fun in a while. I learned a few things also.
There is nothing more fun than sparring on camera systems. Collectively
there is a lot of knowledge on this list. There is no such thing as a Canon
list equivalent to this one.

>...Probably the one and only thing that is against Olympus in this argument
>(for me at least) is "will the system continue to grow" as the OM line
>did (I'm talking lenses & accessories here, not bodies) or will I be
>buying into a system which is about to sink.

I'm not sure if it is pessimism or the fear of having one's
heart broken again by Olympus. I'm sure Oly is committed to
producing lenses for the E-system. If they add anti-shake they
will be in a good position. The only thing I have not seen with
the E-system lenses is the long working distance macro.
I have used the 25mm extension tube on the 50-200, but the tripod
mount on that lens has a bit of flex and is not as solid as
the Canon lens tripod mounts I am using now.

Here is an example I have posted before, using the E-1, 50-200
plus 25mm extension.

http://www.zuik.net/E1/_5161105_800x600.jpg

I think lenses are one of Olympus' strong points. And even the new
DZ's have a nice feel to them. The E-1 viewfinder is not bad. Now
that I'm into C*non system lenses, C*non is all over the map. The non-L
lenses feel really cheap, often don't come with a lens hood (you
have to order separately) and some of the L lenses are built like
tanks and that is how they feel to carry around too.

I think the E-system lenses maybe one of the most consistent out there.
Deciding whether IS, VR, Anti-shake, or not is a real need seems to
me to be the only real issue on choice. That and noise at high ISO.
All Oly has to do is add an anti-shake body and then noise is the
only limit to their system.

One of my favorite lenses in the C*non system is the 180mm macro.
I basically use a 16-35/2.8, 24-105/4, and the 180mm macro lens as
my kit. The 180 macro is a lot of fun if you are into macro stuff...example

http://www.zuik.net/5D/macro180_MG_1829.jpg
F32, 6 second exposure, iso100. levels and reduced in PS.

This lens at 1:1 is about 120mm with about 18" of working
distance (without the hood). Working distance costs a few $$.

Macro is the one area that the OM system was king, whereas the E-system
is really lacking. Kit-wise, the E-system is not bad at all. There is
only a deficit in macro , noise in high iso, and anti-shake bodies.
All these may be corrected over time. I hope Oly defies all the nay-sayers.

Wayne