[OM] Re: It's happened. I've relented.

Subject: [OM] Re: It's happened. I've relented.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 02:43:07 -0800
swisspace wrote:

>personally I don't need another dlsr at the moment and find the E1 is
>filling my hard drives quite nicely with its 10mb raw files - I don't
>need to process bigger files.

Er, uh, I hate to tell you this, but the E-1 has outsized RAW files.
Other cameras with bigger sensors have smaller RAW files. Even the full
frame, 12.8 mp 5D has RAW files only about 12-13%  bigger than the E-1.

Camera   Sensor   RAW file  RAW/ Sensor
20D       8.0      7.5        94%
5D       12.8      11.7       91%
300D      6.3      6.6       105%
D70       6.1      5.4        89%
D200     10.2      16.1      158%
E-1       5.1      10.4      204%
E-500     8.0      13.8      173%

In any given space, you can store about 39% more RAW files from an 8 mp
20D or about 92 % more 6.1 mp D70 files than RAW files from the 5.1 mp
E-1. The E-50 is somewat more efficient, but still outsized.

Moose