[OM] Re: Color Filter Metering B&W Shooting

Subject: [OM] Re: Color Filter Metering B&W Shooting
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 16:25:31 -0800
Or if you you want to be sure, hold the filter over the meter cell on the
front of the camera and see how much the meter changes. Some range finders
have filter holders that allow the filter to be flipped from in front of the
lens to in front of the meter window.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Michael Wong wrote:

 >Dear all,
 >I wish to take B&W shooting with my Olympus 35SP. Unfortunately, it is not
 >TTL metering. If I put an orange filter in front of the lens, how many EV
 >should I adjust?

The filter factor for orange is generally about 4. That means you need 4
times the exposure.

That's an increase in exposure of 2 EV, which actually means acting as
if the brightness is 2 EV less. So if the meter reads EV 10, you use the
camera setting for EV 8.

Another way, less confusing to me, is simply to divide the film speed by
4 and set that value in the meter while using the filter, then simply
set the camera to match the meter.

If you search the web for black and white filter factor, you will find
lots of reference pages. One that's fairly comprehensive is
<http://www.jackspcs.com/filters.htm>.

Moose