[OM] Re: Dvorak - Photojournalist

Subject: [OM] Re: Dvorak - Photojournalist
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 19:23:11 +1300
Peter Leyssens wrote

> Hey,
>
> > Spare a thought for the innocent traveller trying to get a taxi from
> > Schiphol (bad enough so far) to Hotel Huis ter Duin (yes, it gets more
> > worser) at Noordwijk aan Zee (aaargh)!
>
> Oh, you stayed there ?  Fancy place, isn't it ?  You weren't visiting
> ESTEC by any chance ?
>
> I don't see how Noordwijk aan Zee could be harder than Schiphol.  The
> sch sound is utterly impossible to teach to foreigners.  My personal
> favorite is "schuur", which just means "barn", but consists entirely of
> sounds that are unpronouncable for people with a variation of English as
> the mother tongue.
>
> One other hard thing about Dutch is that we actually have sounds that
> are *not* diphtongs !  The horror !  :-P
>
> Peter.
 Ha; you think that's bad?  Try pronouncing Scheveningen.  (A place near/
part of s'Gravenhage).

To the native English speaker, the biggest hurdle is that in the middle of the
word you have to make a sound that feels like you are trying to clear your
throat of a particularly bothersome lump of phlegm. After a while (like a week
or two) it is not so hard, but at the beginning - a real mind blockage. All
quite
normal there.

Brian