[OM] Re: Digital vs film resolution

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital vs film resolution
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:48:19 -0800
You assumption is very interesting, how if each grain is stack on the top of
the other? Will it be no matter how many dots are on the same position on
different layers it just produce a black dot? You are assuming  each grain
has 20, 30, 40%.... transparency? In random world the grain
will not exactly alligned one on top of each other, it is impossible to
count on the gray level it can reproduce. Actually, if you assume each grain
has the same transparency then you can still only make 8 difference grey
levels with 8 grains. How can you expect each grain is double the size of
the others and align on the same exact position? You can program it?

You are putting the analogue world into digital calculation that has nothing
to support. I just assume it is like offset printing, you need the exact
number of dot (grain) to produce the number of grey level.

C.H.Ling