[OM] Re: : Digital vs film resolution

Subject: [OM] Re: : Digital vs film resolution
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 15:28:15 -0800
Brian Swale wrote:

>Hi Chuck & all
>
>This argument avoids the contribution of lens quality.
>
>I am increasingly not satisfied with the 14-45mm DZuiko, yet people keep
>saying how good the E-1 is. The  gap in the argument must be the lens.

You don't specify in what way you are not satisfied. That makes it sort
of tough to respond, which may be why no one who actually has either or
both of these lenses has done so?

The only directly comparable tests of the 14-45 vs. 14-54 lenses is at
photozone <http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html>.

As you can see, any differences in MTF and CA are just tiny. The 14-54
is just a bit sharper at F4 than the 14-45 at f3.5, but the difference
is very small and they are identical at smaller apertures.

Again, CA in the more expensive lens is better, but not by much and at a
very low level in both.

Unless your problem is in linear distortion at the wide end,  you need
more speed, or you will just feel better with the better build quality
and weight, you may find yourself disappointed if you trade up.

Moose