[OM] Re: E-1 ISO 800 Acceptability

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 ISO 800 Acceptability
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 09:09:37 -0500
Ah!  Just as I suspected.  Your 1/8 sec. shutter speed on this shot is
substantially longer than CH's 1/320s shot.  Another thing that I think
can contribute to noise is having the camera turned on for a long time
and the sensor be warm.

The comparison Canon shot is not only shot at 1600 vs 800 but it also
has a shutter speed 4 times as long at 1/2 sec.

Chuck Norcutt

Wayne S wrote:

>>In your example, I would wonder a little about movement and blur as
>>contributing some negative effect.  And perhaps I am just insulating
>>myself from the devasting Heartbreak of Noise, but viewing at 100% is
>>not natural to me.  At 100% ISO 800 will definitely suffer in
>>comparison.
>

>>http://www.zuik.net/E1/800iso_A147882.jpg
>
> I'm sure there was some movement - shot with 14-54 at 54, iso
> 800, 1/8 speed, f/4, spot metered, and using manual focus,
> handheld. It was this experience, one week before my daughter's
> wedding, that caused me to pull the plug on the E-1. I just couldn't
> live with the uncertainty in the performance of the camera. This is
> on the more extreme end of shooting, but an important one if shooting
> events.

<snip>