[OM] Re: OMUSA is he crazy? Now: In defense of Alex . . . kind of . . .

Subject: [OM] Re: OMUSA is he crazy? Now: In defense of Alex . . . kind of . . .
From: "Komtanoo Pinpimai" <romerun@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 04:27:15 -0600
People like alex, sometimes, is useful. Since some camera gears on the
bay, are over described. I've just bought a lens described as Mint
from a seller, but when it arrived the lens has a noticeable ugly
scratch in its front.

I've never bought a thing from alex, but if he acts as the man in the
middle selling only the real mint condition, acting like KEH on the
bay, and be happy to be suffered from fraud description from some
sellers, he would be useful to somebody who chooses quality before
price.

On 3/7/06, NSURIT@xxxxxxx <NSURIT@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> In a message dated 3/7/2006 8:08:10 A.M. Central Standard Time,
> russ@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> I don't  know about this particular case but often see the phrase "like
> new" buried  deep in his "NEW" titled listings. That's deceptive and on
> the edge of  fraud but his customers don't seem to complain. Of course
> spending 2-3x  the reasonable price on anything often makes one believe
> that they've  bought a quality item.
>

> Hmm, I sometimes find myself wanting to defend this guy.  It  doesn't always
> feel right, as his descriptions are often fraudulent or at the  very least
> deceptive and I find that particularly distasteful.  I currently  have a few
> items queued up to be listed on eBay.  Some, but not  many, are "new", some
> "like
> new" and most are some variation of  "used."   When they are listed, I will do
> my best to provide an  accurate assessment of their condition.  Given that
> irrespective of where  I'm selling (either here or on eBay), I want people to
> be
> happy with their  purchase, I will generally offered a money back guarantee,
> even on stuff that  has some flies on it which have been revealed prior to the
> purchase.   I haven't had very many returns.  The only one which comes to
> mind is a  "mint" OM 2S, whose circuit decided to die between my home and the
> buyers.   As I recall, I refunded all monies paid, plus return shipping.  That
> was  the "right" thing to do and the type of service that results in my
> having a
>  little over 300 positive feedback responses on eBay and a large number of
> positive exchanges on this list.  It is also the type of thing which has me
> thinking seriously about becoming a seller's assistant with eBay.
>
> Now, let me step down from my "self promoting" soap box and get to the  point
> of the positive comment about Alex.  What I would like to talk about  is
> "fair market value", which is a price at which a willing seller will  sell
> and a
> willing buyer will buy.  Assuming an accurate description of the  item (often
> times that is a stretch with this guy), each of Alex's  successful auctions
> represents an item being sold at "fair market value or  price".  They may not
> be
> sold at a price I would pay, however for someone  else they represent a fair
> price and represent value for their exchange of  dollars, pesos, pounds or
> whatever.   So the assessment of 2 or 3  times what an item is worth, might be
> more accurately expressed at 2 or 3 times  what it is worth to me.  I also
> think
> that most people, myself included,  know when we have paid too much for an
> item.  Rather than feeling like I  got a quality item (which may be the
> case), I
> usually feel like I've  screwed myself (as opposed to being screwed by someone
> [...]

when you were born, a problem was solved