[OM] Re: [OT] Gun people

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Gun people
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 06:48:01 +0000
I suppose it made it easier to see where you shots were going ;-).

When I used to practise strafing (on the Jaguar, with the 30mm Aden
cannon), it was always easier to see where your shots were going if
you used live rounds as you could see them exploding on impact.
However, you had to open up at a higher range than normal and "walk"
the shots in as you closed with the target.  You could sometimes see
the practice rounds (inert, ball) hit the ground but your risked
being too close and having your score disqualified if you did ... and
getting too close to the ground for comfort!

We loaded HEAP (high-explosive, armour-piercing) for war.  I
practised it with it once on a US range in the south of Germany and
they seemed quite impressed with its efficacy and our accuracy.

The Tornado GR1's guns (27mm Mauser) were a different kettle of fish:
much higher muzzle velocity and rate of fire.  We started at a much
higher range for practice and its range and accurancy are a match for
the A-10's great machine.

Chris

~~ >-)-
C M I Barker