[OM] Re: PM-MTob macros versus "Modern" OM macros

Subject: [OM] Re: PM-MTob macros versus "Modern" OM macros
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 03:05:38 -0800 (PST)
I believe this mount will also take other vendors RMS thread macro lenses, some
of which are very good too.

  I have an RMS Cannon 28mm/2.8 which  is very good (and expensive) which works
well 1-9x lifesize and there are quite a few others, although most can only be
bought used now.

  Check the Markelink website which has a pretty complete list of all the
different macro and micro lenses for most camera systems,including OM
,Cannon,Leitz etc.

  My adapter is actually a Cannon made, RMS to Cannon mount, that I just
adapted with a Tmount and use with a Novoflex bellows on OM.

  Much cheaper especially for micro work, and just as good or better than
"real" Macro and micro lenses, is to use enlarger lenses with a leica screw to
OM adapter (enlarger flange to OM-Tmount is fairly easy to make yourself).  An
old Novoflex bellows many of which came with leica screw as standard on the
front, works particularly well with enlarger lenses and is better than Olympus
bellows for field work.

  In particular 6 element medium format "APO" enlarger lenses from Schneider or
Rodenstock, like an 80mm or 135mm are flat field and have incredibly good MTF
curves over the whole field. some of the "enlarging lenses" are actually even
sold as copy lenses as well.  Even the non-APO versions are outstanding lenses.

  Something like an el-nikkor 50 or 80mm/2.8 enlarger lens is a decent really
common enlarger lens that can often be had for next to nothing  <$20. Since
enlarger's are being dumped now, go for the high end lenses (5-6 element) since
the premium is not that much.  The best are probably the Rodenstock Rodagar or
Schneider Componon-S.   The list prices for these top end medium format
enlarger lenses, like a 135 say are astronomical ( $600), but with careful
shopping you can likely get them for $100 or less used.  I bought a 135 rodagon
some years back for about $100, that just needed a good clean, and that was
before the darkroom dumping really started.

  see here for an article to figure out different models of schneider :
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schneider_Kreuznach#Componon-S
  and Rodenstock:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodenstock
  The vendor's websites also used to give MTF curves for current product.

  Using flash for micro works well, to overcome camera shake with high
magnifications and small apertures.

  Tim Hughes

steven_read@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
  Jeff wrote on 02/20/2006 12:32:46 AM:

> I actually paid an arm and a leg for the PM-MTob adapter from europe.

Is there actually a market for these? Maybe I should ask "Alex" for his
price list ;-) Or did you do what I did, and end up with a lens that
required the PM-MTob first? It's been years since I got mine and I guess I
somehow assumed that everybody who could afford more than simple extension
tubes would have gotten the OM auto-macro lenses before Olympus pulled the
plug. Any advice about keeping the older PM-MTob & lenses versus keeping
the auto-macro lenses? For use with the E-1?

List usage info: http://www.zuikoholic.com
List nannies: olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx