[OM] Re: Anything special to be aware of when buying these lenses?

Subject: [OM] Re: Anything special to be aware of when buying these lenses?
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 08:56:00 EST
In a message dated 2/22/2006 4:11:42 A.M. Central Standard Time,
jmalmstrom@xxxxxxx writes:

Telescopic autotube 65-116

I believe some have all the current macros inscribed and the older ones
don't.  You will want one with tripod mount.  They all makes noises  (like a
ball
bearing rolling around inside), so don't let that scare you  off.

75-150 mm F4.0

Check for lens separation on interior elements (carry a small pen light  with
you to shine through both directions).

50mm  F1.4

Serial number above 1,000,000 are the preferred lenses.

135mm F4.5 macro

Hoods are near impossible to find and expensive.  Uses same hood as  the 90mm
f2.  With luck the lens will have the hood included. The deep  rear lens caps
on this one is the same as the cap on the auto 80mm macro.   They also are
hard to find and expensive.  A "work around" can be done with  a short
extension
tube and a regular cap.

80mm  F4.0 Macro

See above about rear cap.  The auto version is more popular and more  pricey
than the non-auto version.  If it doesn't have the deep rear cap it  is the
non-auto and I wouldn't probably buy it unless it was very  inexpensive.
Nothing wrong with the optics, but why have one lens that you  have to operate
differently than all your other Zuikos?  Guess that is what  I'm doing when
using
my OM Zuiko glass with my e-1, but that is different . .  .

85mm  F2.0

If this one works properly, buy it.  You will love it, if you do  people.
Takes the same hood as the 100mm f2.8 and the 40mm f2.  They  are a little hard
to find, but not impossible.  Well I've just lost or  misplaced one, I hope it
isn't hard to find.

In general, I look at the glass, the mechanical functioning and close it
down and make sure the aperture is working properly.  A little oil on the
blades
doesn't bother me if they are working properly (snappy), however I would
expect a reduction in price if present.

Bill Barber