[OM] Re: Picture of my week

Subject: [OM] Re: Picture of my week
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 01:45:03 -0800
Andrew McPhee wrote:

>Re: http://dev-stop-fix.com/digital_pages.php?n=P2180091
>
>My sincere thanks to everyone who critiqued this photo for me, your replies
>were appreciated.  Everyone said how much they liked it which was nice, but
>there were no adverse comments.
>
>I welcome constructive criticism, so if I put up a photo any time please
>don't be backward in letting me know if you don't like something about it

Well, I can't say there's much of anything I can see not to like about
it. I can imagine other excellent shots of this subject, There are even
excellent alternatives from the same vantage point, some available
simply by cropping. However, I don't imagine any of them being "better"
than this one. Different, as good, maybe, but not better.

I like the composition. It very nicely shows the rock both as a
wonderful sculpture and in its context. I like the DOF and inclusion of
in-focus grass in the foreground.

There is a lack of any reference for the scale of the rock. Depending on
the focal length of the lens, it could be 10 feet tall or 100. Well,
there are some clues in the nature of the rock and how it has broken,
but it is still not terribly clear. That could be a flaw, from some
perspectives. But I didn't really notice that until you asked what might
be imperfect in the shot. To me, it is is about shape and how it relates
to its surroundings and about light, not about size.

>or if you can see ways of improving it.

There is a pretty good vertical crop in there that emphasizes the
verticals in the rock. I prefer the existing composition, with the
verticals of the rock set in the horizontals of the rest of the landscape.

It has a soft quality to the light. I would check what it looks like
with more edge contrast and midtone contrast. I've tried that
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Cathedral.htm>. The altered
version is as far as I can see it going without definitely going too
far. If it were mine, I would probably end up somewhere between the way
you present it and my 'pop" version. Somebody sugested use of filter(s)
to get more pop, I like to do it in the "darkroom".

Moose