[OM] Re: Whilst on scanners - anyone have or tried the microtek artixsca

Subject: [OM] Re: Whilst on scanners - anyone have or tried the microtek artixscan 4000tf
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 09:09:31 -0800
Microtek made the scanners for Polaroid. Microtek always sold the
equivalent scanner marketed by Polaroid except for the SS120 was
exclusive to Polaroid.. When Polaroid failed, Microtek started
selling a rebadged SS120. So, I think you are safe in assuming the
Microtek is similar to the Polaroid especially with the cold cathode
light source. Probably identical.

I had never had the opportunity till recently to try my old SS120
with Kodachrome. It did a super job on it. Accurate representation of
the Kodachrome color, nearly grainless, sharp, and able to recover an
amazing amount of blown out detail on a white hat on the slide.
Vuescan had a generic transparency setting and a Kodachrome setting
which did the job. I never liked Kodachrome much for projection
because I did not like the color, but I wish now that I had used more
because it sure scans better than any other slide film I have used
except maybe for Provia F.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA