[OM] Re: OT email

Subject: [OM] Re: OT email
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 02:13:03 +0100
le 1/02/06 14:24, John Hermanson à omtech1@xxxxxxxxxxx a écrit :

> To those of you using macs, are both of these links highlighted when you
> see this email on your computer?
>
> www.zuiko.com
> http://www.zuiko.com

Here, on an old beige G3 PowerMac system 8.6 - OE 5, the first link isn't
clickable.

> A customer recently scolded me for not using the "http://"; , I told her
> it was considered redundant and not necessary. Maybe for some email
> programs, it has to be there.

Some programs may assume that anything begining by "www." is equivalent to
"http://www.";, but it's not standard. There's a rfc on urls that states that
the canonical form is :
protocol://<user:password@>computer.domain.tld<:port/path_to_ressource>
and the protocol:// part isn't optional (I've bracketed the options between
"<>"). This canonical form is suitable to access anything on internet ; the
only exception being the nntp protocol (prefix news:) because you seldom
want to access the same server as the person who pointed the link to you
(it's largely isp dependant). So the "//computer.domain.tld/" part is
optional for news:. Otherwise, you just can make links on anything.
Examples:

http://asite.somewhere.onthenet:81/apagein.html will look for a web server
on port 81 (usually 80, 81 used for beta test pusposes as a general
practice).

ftp://myname:mypass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/ will connect me to my professional
repository.

etc.

--
Manuel Viet
(currently playing with a Mac found 2 days ago in a bin).

(Note to admin : sorry for the repost, but I didn't took care that I wasn't
using a registred identity for the list when I pushed the 'mail now' button
sooner today).