[OM] Re: [OT]Are any list members US Tax Accountants?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]Are any list members US Tax Accountants?
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:54:33 -0700
The US tax code was changed many years ago to raise the dollar value
requiring equipment depreciation. I forget the value threshold but remember
it being around $5000. You can do it for smaller items but the record
keeping is a pain. It's much easier to just expense it. Photography is
subject to the "hobby business" scrutiny but the IRS cannot force a business
to make money. They may make you prove that you are really running a
business though. What they actually do depends on the agent processing your
return and it's very inconsistent. /jmac