[OM] Re: [OT]... chicken and aircraft, but were afraid to ask..

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]... chicken and aircraft, but were afraid to ask..
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 19:41:35 +0000
That was a fun read, Ken!  I am glad that I have spent most of my
life in aircraft that needed a full runway ;-).  I can imagine that
sort of thing happening now that I fly single pistons.

That noise, sideslip, happened to me when I was practising low level
aerobatics for a competition in 1983; that must have been a couple of
years after your near-mishap.  I was flying a Jet Provost Mk 5, an
aircraft in which we were training navigators low level navigation at
that time, and I was practising my rolling display.  I entered the
sequence  along the runway at 500ft and did a 3 point hesitation roll
to the left, stopping at the 3rd point to enter a hard turn to the
right.  Since I went from -2 g to +6g quite quickly I nearly always
greyed-out for a few seconds.  The chap who always flew with me knew
this and was always ready to let me know if my hard turn was anything
but level.  Once I had turned through 180 degrees I could see again
and carry out a slow roll.  This time I did not get the nose up
enough before going inverted and I needed more than the normal boot
of top rudder in the final stages to prevent a descent developing.
The noise from the sideslip was loud and concerned both of us in the
cockpit, but I was more worried that the rudder seemed to over-
balance and I thought that I was about to flick into a spin.

Luckily I didn't, but the supervisor on the ground had also heard the
sideslip noise and wanted to know all about my antics ...

Chris
~~ >-)-
C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.