[OM] Re: DZ 50-200 tripod mount

Subject: [OM] Re: DZ 50-200 tripod mount
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 23:06:48 -0800
The tripod mount works ok on a Arca Swiss style lens plate but I think
aesthetics had more influence on the design than function. Try removing the
rubber pad from one of your quick release lens plates. I would bet that the
lens will mount and be fairly stable (considering the 400mm eq AOV).

I changed from a Bogen 3030 to a Acratech because of stability problems when
using a Tamron 400/4 + 1.4TC. I made the change before trying to remove the
rubber pad. I'll have to see if I have any lens plates left ... maybe I can
try it.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>

Well, I don't like the tripod mount on the 50-200 very much.  While
it's not flimsy, it is so narrow that it is not stable enough at 200mm
to use the TTT technique of cradling the lens and pulling off a nice
sharp shot.

I really prefer the tilt-pan heads.  I suppose the only solution is a
Kirk ReallyRight Arca Swiss $$$ thingy, but I'd prefer Bogen for now.
Suggestions are welcome!  Off to search the web sites ...

Joel W.