[OM] Re: Stock photography, episode 482

Subject: [OM] Re: Stock photography, episode 482
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:20:50 -0800
AG Schnozz wrote:

>>I'm in the U.S. I'm just trying to figure out how any income I
>>make from this will effect how I file my taxes. I guess what I
>>really want to know is, if I have income from photography, can
>>I still file short form? I realize you're probably not an
>>accountant, but thought you may be able to provide
>>some advice or point me in the right direction to figure this
>>out.
>>

>I do not do my own taxes.  As my wife and I both have our own
>businesses we lean heavily on accountants to keep us out of jail
>when it comes to tax time.

My programming business is very simple, similar to stock sales, I
suppose. I do file Schedule C, and long form, but it's no trouble using
TurboTax. Just answer the questions and file. Been doing that for many
years with nary a bit of trouble.

Only thing that nags me is the self employment tax. Of course, I paid
into Social Security all those years as an employee, but I never got the
money and then had to give it back; it just disappeared before I could
see it.

As long as Congress doesn't mess it up, it'll all pay off in the now
foreseeable future. If I wait another 10 years to tap it, the payments
look decent.

Moose