[OM] Re: Upsizing E-1 prints

Subject: [OM] Re: Upsizing E-1 prints
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:19:17 -0800 (PST)
> Questions are these: Is that too much of a stretch for the
> E-1? Will Picture Window Pro, which I use, handle that degree
> of upsampling? Would Genuine Fractals or another upsizing
> program do better? I have Photoshop Elements 3.0, and I think
> GF is available as a plug-in.

What I've seen GF do is incredible. Between PWP and PSE 3.0, I
have to give the nod to PSE 3.0. When uprezing, though, I
usually use a two or three step process using wierd ratios to
break any pattern artifacts that normally result. I apply a very
tight sharpening prior to uprezing being exceedingly careful to
get absolutely no halos or other gritties. After uprezing,
depending on use, I may do a very light HSV additon to help mask
the artifacts and give a film-grain bite to the image.

> Also, I know AG was talking recently about going really large
> with E-1 prints through a pro lab he uses, and so there's
> always the possibility of getting professional printing done
> with the images I want printed at the larger sizes.

I'm considering a mega printer myself, but the reasons would be
for a specific business application, not just for the occasional
print.  I can buy a whole lot of 30x40s for just the cost of ink
to fill the feeder lines.  If I can buy my inks in bulk (like I
currently do with my Canon S9000), it may be doable. But for
portraiture, wedding and event photography the workflow time
savings immediately justify outsourcing.  Any equipment purchase
for me would be driven by sales as well as unique capabilities.

However, I shudder to make an investment in a ink-based B&W
system when I see the potential of the market getting flooded by
suedo-BW sameness from everybody else with a DSLR and an Epson.
Maybe it's time for me to go back to color.

Anybody want to buy a darkroom?

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com