[OM] Re: Re. New toy

Subject: [OM] Re: Re. New toy
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:44:44 +0100
I have read a lot of stuff about running in having run in a couple of
cars and a few  bikes in the last few years I have found the following
works best for me and NONE of my bikes or cars burn oil - even the BMW
GS which is known to use oil.

for the first 100 miles or so run no higher than 2000 rpm then increase
by 500 rpm for every 50 miles more.
At 500 miles or so change the oil (true these days the oil is no longer
the special mix but I always felt that just in case it's best to change
it and for the price of oil its worth it). Then take it out and run it a
full revs for a couple of minutes I mean at or near the limiter, ( I
have been fortunate to be near Germany so can run them flat out in top
gear -  apart from the Audi which with a top speed of around 178mph  I
had to leave in fourth due to slower cars ;-) ).

Then go back to increasing by500 rpm every 100 miles or so, but with
modern cars and especially Walts new Toy it's normal driving apart from
an extra thrash to the limiter for a while at the 650 800 and 1000 mile
marks - then thats it sealed and fast.

A long time ago a pal and I bought identical bikes, I ran mine in he did
the thrash from start, mine ran faster and longer.

cheers Ian