[OM] Re: I've got an E-1 among others

Subject: [OM] Re: I've got an E-1 among others
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 08:04:20 -0400

> Hi Johan,
>   Fascinating story.
>   I went the unpopular road to replace my OM1.  I bought the Minolta A200
for many reasons, but mainly because it reminded me of my OM's, mostly my OM
PC (100%, the OM1 about 85%...:).
>   I too can afford a lot more than before, but just did not like any of
the DSLR's I looked at...:(  They were humongous, but so were most of the
digicams I looked at, twice the size of the A200.
>   IMHO, the cheap DSLR's are highly overrated, there are digicams that are
just as good...now when you brought the subject, I would love to hear a
short comparison from AG about his A1 and E-1.  I think that the old rule
still holds water, it is not the camera, it is the photographer that makes
the picture.
>   At the end, you have to decide based on what you like to do.  I shared
an opinion, because know that you also like to take them outdoors and this
was my solution to many problems using digital.
>   HTH
>   Boris

Yes, there are lots of reasons, besides money, why different folks prefer to
use different cameras. Digital equipment is similar to film stuff that way.
With film, some prefer rangefinders over SLR's, even though they are much
more limited in what they can do. Based on my personal use of rangefinder
and SLR film cameras, I know I'll always carry a digicam much more than a
DSLR. But I'll still get a DSLR some day for the extra versatility it gives
for those special things a digicam can never do.
Wayne (waiting for the next Oly E-whatever announcement)