[OM] Re: Konica Minolta withdraw from camera business: Digital

Subject: [OM] Re: Konica Minolta withdraw from camera business: Digital
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:00:27 -0800
Even though my personal preference is for another camera, I agree
with you. It seems that extreme exaggeration is the order of the day.
If Canon lenses and metering were so awful they would not dominate in
the pro ranks. Canon just sold its 30 millionth EF lens which is some
kind of testimonial too. Every camera has something it does a little
better or worse than the competition, or perhaps just make design and
priority decisions based on what is needed that conflicts with what
some "experts" think. For instance Nikon does not really think you
need more than 4 MP for a newspaper photo or a double page spread in
Sports Illustrated, Canon does not think that the little bit of CA in
their wide angles is not worth redesigning them when it is easily
corrected with software, and Olympus uses a size of sensor that is
noisier than either  by an inconsequential amount. I think they are
all correct. All these "defects" are valid engineering/cost decisions
and are all but invisible for their intended use if used
intelligently. For the final product it does not really matter a
great deal whose camera you use, well except maybe for one of those
discontinued Kodak DSLRs. I thnk that what matters is how the
photographer and the camera meld and become one in the photo making
process.

I suppose it is not new, now that I think about it. I remember one
former listee who used to regularly make sarcastic, almost flaming,
remarks about Velvia color rendition, using terms like Disneyesque,
when probably half of us were using it regularly. The mind boggled
when he posted a link to a seascape Ektachrome of which he was very
proud and which had such exaggerated contrast and saturation as to
look like one of those lurid, velvet paintings that were sold in swap
meets 30 years ago. People often repeat what they hear without
opening their eyes.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA