[OM] Re: Polarizer issue

Subject: [OM] Re: Polarizer issue
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:42:55 +1100
B+W has made 'wide' filters for some time, where the glass size is
far larger than the filter thread size. rather pricey and essentially
the same effect as a simple solution - get a skinny step-up ring and
mount a bigger filter! (As in the Zuiko 18mm 49-72mm hood). On the
24mm use a 49-55mm step-up and you should be fine - go to 58mm if
you're nervous. But not all step-up rings are equal - some are chunky
and the throat can vignette - make sure it's slim in profile.
There's also some differences in polarisers - old Nikon PL's I always
found to be rather light in effect and slightly warm. Perhaps better
for blue sky shots but less saturation.
AndrewF