[OM] Re: Focusing screens, was: Re: Homepage picture update

Subject: [OM] Re: Focusing screens, was: Re: Homepage picture update
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 04:08:01 -0600
On 1/13/06, Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I will quote myself from back in August when I got my Katz Eye screen for the
> E-1.  Nothing's changed.  My initial impression and observations remain the
> same.  The Katz Eye screen is why the 500/8 Zuiko is in my E-1 kit bag.  Back
> then, I said:
>
> "The Katz Eye split prism focusing screen for the E-1 has arrived and is now
> installed.
>
> "For starters, those who have expressed some concern about the installation
> process, fear not.  It's just the same as changing screens in the OMs, so if
> you're competent enough to do that, you can make the swap in less than a
> minute.
> It helps to have the tweezers that come with the OM screens, since the tab on
> the E-1 screen is just about the same size.  The only real difference in the
> procedure is just that everything's half OM size.  Think small.

Ah yes, I remember these words, and I ordered up shortly thereafter.
I think there might be one difference.  I think getting the screen to
drop might be a push rather than a pull.  In any case, I think it was
the opposite of the OM.  In any case, Walt, you'll appreciate that I'm
too lazy actually to check it out. :)

Does the split prism get in the way?  Yes, that's the whole idea.  If
you like a 2-13, you'll be happy.  The only time I was sort of
irritated by it was when I was shooting a soccer game.  It's not
helpful for rapid manual focusing in athletic events.  But for
virtually everything else, it's great.

Joel W.