[OM] Re: Focusing screens, was: Re: Homepage picture update

Subject: [OM] Re: Focusing screens, was: Re: Homepage picture update
From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 15:54:29 +0100
AG wrote:
>So, my question is about the split image.  Is it obnoxiously in
>your face?  (like a 1-13) or is it a bit more subtle.  Is it
>about the same brightness as the rest of the screen (2-13) so it
>blends in or is it obviously clearer then the rest?

Same question here. For my OMs, I prefer the 2-4 to the 2-13 screen: hence my
fear that the Katz screen may not suit my habits. OTOH, some help for the
manual focusing would be welcome. But I have also read that the outer part of
the Katz screens, i.e. the matte surface outside of the split prism and
microprism, was not as good for focusing as the Olympus FS-1 or FS-2 screens.

In addition, I read that at least some versions of the Katz screen meant
trouble for the exposure.

>Finally, grid lines.  How thick are the lines?  I like the lines
>to be very faint, not bold stripes.

I like the FS-2 screens, I have it on my E-1 all the time. At first I was
afraid that so many lines would detract from a clear vision - there are more
lines than what John does on the OM screens. But I found this was not the case:
the lines are very thin and clear, more than those made by John H. I do not
find them bothersome at all, and they even help with crooked horizons.

Bernard