[OM] Re: OT - web thumbnail picture labels

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - web thumbnail picture labels
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 15:52:24 -0800
By coincidence, I found your post when I returned from a leisurely
ramble through the wonderful site you have put together for us.

Before dealing with nits, I just want to say how much fun I had browsing
through images from my fellow listees. I think the one day theme worked
very well. With many of us forced to deal with days when we would
otherwise have eschewed picture taking (or even going outisde at all!)
it brought out much more variety than the TOPEs, where we all try to
show only our best.

And what a wonderful variety of results! Sly, artistic, fuzzy, snapshots
that might have been binned is taken on another day, postcards, images
that almost scream the photographers gloom at shooting on a gloomy day,
all sorts. The fact that I feel I know some of you fairly well also
makes your pics more interesting.

Thanks everyone and especially Jeff. Mine are finally on their way. I
didn't have toooo much trouble getting myself to take the shots, but
using up the rest of the roll in rainy January took a little while. I
hope there are more coming from others too.

Jeff Keller wrote:

>I've noticed that Opera does not display the picture labels when the cursor
>is placed over the picture, instead it displays the link. M'softs IE
>displays the label in a box just below the cursor for a few seconds and
>displays the link in the status bar as long as the cursor points at the
>picture.

Firefox doesn't seem to display the label at all, just the link down in
the status bar. IE works as you say.

>I've been putting text tags on all of the thumbnails for
>http://www.olympus-photography.com/Worldwide_Picture_Day_2006/index.htm
>I'm wondering if anybody has even noticed the text or knows of a better way
>to have a label that doesn't clutter up a page of thumbnails.  ?

Using Firefox, I never saw the labels until this post and trying IE, and
I can't say I missed them.The group labels of place and photographer are
great and the thumbnails are big enough to see what they are about
anyway. I'd say don't worry about it for this project. Relax on your
laurels, if they are comfortable, that is. :-)

A couple of little nits from browsing the site.
- The links to Larry Plummer's 4th. pic point to the third one instead,
both from the index and the third pic. I had to get there manually.
- The "index" links from the individual images of the first 2-3 folks on
page 4 go to the page 3 index.

And an anti nit. The added links make the browsing experience MUCH
nicer. Thanks!

Moose