[OM] Re: Sunpack mini "digital flash kit" strobes

Subject: [OM] Re: Sunpack mini "digital flash kit" strobes
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:28:49 -0800 (PST)
The point of using two of these small units is to add a decent fill at two
different angles. The improvement is dramatic over one big add on flash even
with a mini-umbrella reflector/diffuser.

  But really the main issue with most older add on flashes with remote triggers
is you have difficulty using them on the digi camera because they get triggered
by the preflash.  You have to combine them with a counting remote trigger (eg
the sunpak handle) or in case of FL40 for example turn off  internal flash and
disconnect auto line using a card on the flash shoe etc. to stop preflash.
So the attraction of the small digi remote devices, is great simplicity and
versatility.  (Since I am an EE, I was actually thinking of just modifying some
T20's, if this simple 200ms delay works well for most digi cameras.)

  I have friends who do cave photography for calenders etc and they always use
many remote triggered slaves. Based on lots of experience doing this in caves,
they started to do this for pictures at parties etc., quick portraits etc,
where they always just use small triggered slaves to add two crossed fill
flashes to a basic larger on camera flash (film camera).  The results are
really good, so whereas I typically use a Sunpak mini-umbrella bounce thingy on
my cameras with a larger flash and sometimes combine with a remote high power
triggered flash (modified auto-ikelight ttl slave unit), I really like the
simplicity of the 2 small remote flashes.  Since they are for fill and can even
often be strategically placed closer, they don't have to be all that high power.

  Tim Hughes

Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

52ft is pretty weak - that's just under 16metres. Most tiny on-board
flashes are in the 10-12m (30-40ft) range already. The Canon 220EX
for instance is about the same size and has a GN of 22metres. I'd
rather use a good, old manual flash and one of those tiny slaves made
by Nissin, etc. I've found a few of those little slave triggers in
junk boxes for a dollar or two.
I'm using an old Sunpak Auto 124 - 24mGN, bounces and swivels to
almost any angle, two auto ranges or manual, cost bugger all. In the
hot shoe or with a Hama shoe to PC adaptor plus cord.
One of the joys of digital - trial and error with flash until the
histogram looks right!
AndrewF

List usage info: http://www.zuikoholic.com
List nannies: olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx