[OM] Re: OT Re: Re: Don't be annoying!

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Re: Re: Don't be annoying!
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:21:34 -0500
Thanks for the link so I could read what this is actually all about.
Seems to me there is quite some slant on the news in the Independent.

The large print says: "Maya Evans, 25, convicted for reading out names
of 97 British soldiers killed in Iraq at unauthorised protest"

The fine print says: "After a three-hour hearing, she was found guilty
of breaching Section 132 of the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act
2005; she was given a conditional discharge and ordered to pay &#163;100
costs. The law, which came into power in April, makes it illegal to hold
an unauthorised protest within 1km of Parliament Square."

It goes on to say:  "Ms Evans was arrested, along with follow
demonstrator, Milan Rai, in October as they stood next to the Cenotaph,
close to the gated entrance to Downing Street. Mr Rai, 40, a writer, was
reading out the names of dead Iraqi civilians. The pair had been
intending to ring a bell for each of the names read out. Mr Rai, who had
spoken to the police in advance about his protest, was not charged."

So, the offense was not reading out the names of British soldiers killed
in Iraq but, instead, holding an unauthorized protest within 1 km of
Parliament Square.  The guy who had permission to protest was not charged.

I realize that this begs the question about the goodness of "Section 132
of the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005" but I certainly
didn't care for the clear distortion of the facts here.

Chuck Norcutt