[OM] Re: adorama grading

Subject: [OM] Re: adorama grading
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 08:57:35 -0800
KEH, B&H, and Adorama are the main retail sources of used gear. All of them
have made mistakes on orders but I generally don't hesitate to buy from
them. The biggest exception is the cords. They seem to constantly be
confused which cord is which.

I ordered a E rated lens from Adorama but received one that was marked E-.
They took back the E- and shipped the right lens but charged me shipping.
>From what I saw of their E- lens, I would not buy a lens rated E- from them.
The E- lens had a light but fairly long scuff on the front element. The E
rated lenses that I've bought from them have generally been quite good.
Adorama also made an error on a T-mount I ordered from them.

B&H have made mistakes on orders for cords. I believe I've been happy with
all of the lenses I've ordered from them. I think their ratings for lenses
are slightly more cautious than Adorama. The difference is pretty small, but
their lenses seem to be slightly better than Adorama's.

KEH made a mistake on a Flash I ordered from them. The salesman who sold the
gear is responsible for correcting errors. That salesman will never return a
phone call in my experience (two different errors). I've got a Tamron 400/4
that I bought from them in bargain condition. The optics are great but the
cosmetics are definitely bargain. I've bought a couple macro lenses from
them that look like new even though they were rated E+.

Good luck,
-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>

My experience with Adorama is limited.  Bought one item that was
described as "Very Good".  Apparently that's the phrase they use to
describe worn, defective equipment.  The return was a hassle as well
so I haven't given them a second chance.

KEH has become inconsistent, IMO.  I've done business with them for
over a decade.  You'll see lots of stories posted to the 'net about
"Bargain" items that turn out to be very clean.  I've had that
experience as well.  More recently I noticed that "Bargain" is more
likely to mean just that and maybe worse.  One "Bargain" lens I
ordered had a nice gouge in the front element.  Mechanical items are
apparently no longer thoroughly checked as I've had to return a few
lately.  If you follow their rules, they're very fair about returns.

my two lux worth/ScottGee1