[OM] Re: web programs

Subject: [OM] Re: web programs
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 17:09:56 +1300
Jeff wrote

> It used to be that positioning things on a page was nearly always done by
> using tables that have invisible borders. The style sheet functionality
> looks like it is off to a good start to replace that method. Whatever
> program you get, I would recommend you put most of your attention on using
> cascading style sheet type formating.
>
> It can be pretty hard to avoid the html. One of the best ways to create web
> pages is to copy them, then change them. It seems like many of the WYSIWYG
> programs have hiccups at times when you try to modify an existing page. You
> should definitely have an easy way to view the html. It helps understand what
> is
> happening.
> Good luck,
> -jeff

I find that the logic behind html tables is fairly transparent.  Sometimes I
have to create dummy cells with spacer gifs to get the intended effect on the
latest version of  *%#$@ MSIE, otherwise no problem.

I have tried hard to get CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) to work, and I  know
that many pages use them, but so far I have never been able to get reliable
results.
I bought the book ( easily available through http://www.bookfinder.com/ )
Hakon Wium Lie, Bert Bos
Cascading Style Sheets: Designing for the Web

But, as I said, no predictably reliable results for the things I mostly want
which are fine control over font character size. So mostly I stick with tables.

Brian