[OM] Re: (OM) What and where can you photograph in the USA ?

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) What and where can you photograph in the USA ?
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 20:24:21 +0000
Absolutely correctomundo!  Just like I've always said.  Places like shopping
malls are quasi-public places; that is, they are private property where the
public is invited.  The people there have no more of an expectation of privacy
than they would if they were standing in the middle of an Interstate highway.

But the owners of the property, or their duly-authorized agents, i.e., that
rent-a-cop, can tell you not to take photographs, not to be on the premises
without shirt and shoes, not to wear a "Buck Fush" tee-shirt, not to use a cell
phone, not to bring food or drink inside, not to leer and wink at girls young
enough to be your daughter, and on and on and on.  But once you have removed
yourself from that property onto the sidewalk by the public street, you can dig
out your longest tele and shoot away all day.  It will piss them off, but there
ain't a thing they can do about it.

Knowing your rights and insisting upon them is a good thing, but, like the old
Kenny Rogers song says, you got to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold
'em.  You are within your legal rights to call the cop who stops you for
speeding a stupid thug fascist pig tool of an illegitimate and illegally
repressive government.  Go for it, if you want to be absolutely sure you get a
ticket for every violation he can think up and then sit by the side of the road
for two hours waiting for the drug dog to come slobber and sniff and leave claw
marks all over your Corintian leather upholstery.

Walt, who never has any of these sorts of problems anyway

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --

From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>