[OM] Re: Advice on favorite mod range zoom to backpack

Subject: [OM] Re: Advice on favorite mod range zoom to backpack
From: DACattani@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 21:12:12 EST

In a message dated 1/6/2006 2:06:26 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I'm  seriously thinkng through as this may be the year that
I take my girls to  Isle Royale

I was on Isle Royale in 1977 after graduating from 'da Tech (Michigan
Technological University for those from anyplace other than the UP of
Michigan).
Being recent, financially challenged college grads, we took my  buddy's canoe
and two fishing rods. We couldn't even afford the licenses. I  think I had a
Kodiak Instamatic, and he had his dad's N*kormat  something or other. 10 days
in
mid-May. Cold, snow, rain, hail, lots of big  mosquitos, and some of the best
stories that I still tell. As you know, on Isle  Royale, one needs a telephoto
for the moose and the elusive wolf. I would  imagine that a 200/4 or 5 would
be great.

When I backpack the Rockies with my OM gear I take the 50/3.5 macro  and a
14mm tube for flowers, lichens, moss, rocks, ....  blisters,  scabs, cuts,
bruises, nose hair..., a 24/2.8, and a 49mm polarizer. I used to  take an OM-2,
but
that's now gone, so it would be an OM-1 or an OM-4.

I've taken a 35-70/3.5-4.5, but I didn't use it much. I like the primes,  and
the wider the better. I'm afraid of damaging the 21/2, plus it's  heavier
than the 24/2.8. So the 21 stays home for easier  day-hikes and car trips.
After
all, it's been said ... "anything  more than 500 yards from the road is not
photogenic".

Dave in Denver