[OM] Re: Please take a photo on New Year's Day

Subject: [OM] Re: Please take a photo on New Year's Day
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 20:02:02 -0800
DACattani@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Thanks to those that have commented on  the DIA photos. They're okay for a
>[partially] color blind  engineer. And Photo-shopping on an old laptop doesn't
>help.

Actually very nice, no matter what the condition of the photographer.

>The city has made many creature comfort improvements to the airport over  the
>years. The water fountain in the middle of the main terminal is only  a few
>years old. They've added some potted trees that survive nicely. It's  really
>an
>enjoyable experience.

This airport came up in conversation at a family get together during the
Holidays.

One of my brothers was there during the (one of the?) infamous snow-in a
few years ago. He told about how perspicacious he was to realize how bad
things were getting soon enough to book a room at a, relatively, nearby
hotel and a rental car. He said the marble floors may normally look
nice, but not when all the carpeted space has already been staked out
for sleeping space and you are wondering where you will be spending the
next unknown number of hours.

He said it took hours to recover his checked suitcase. They finally
escorted those who had requested their luggage down into a big garage
area full of baggage carriers, one flight at a time. There you could
look for your bag(s) and claim them. Out of the three from his flight,
he and another guy found their bags. The third guy was SOL until who
knows when.

He spent the next three days in his hotel, as did the hotel crew. By the
third day, the food got a little funny, as they cleaned out the back of
the fridges and freezers, But he had a room of his own with bathroom,
hot water and a real bed, and was content. His company paid for three
days of a car that went on only two short trips, too. But that was the
only way to slither to the hotel.

I did something similar years ago in DC. My susiness ran late enough to
miss any reasonable flights home. So with weather coming in, I booked a
morning flight and a room out at Dulles and went out the night before my
flight. The access road was a sheet of ice in the morning and there were
only a handful of us on the flight. Nobody could get to the airport.
Just two of us in first class (ah, the good old days!) with two
stewardesses. I was seriously overfull and more than a bit overimbibed
by the time we reached SFO. Fortunately, I had a ride home booked, back
when they were actual limos, not vans.

Moose