[OM] Re: ( OM ) World-wide picture day

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) World-wide picture day
From: "Geilfuss Charles" <Charles.Geilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 08:55:26 -0600
Brian,
        A food TOPE is an excellent idea. I could finally see the likes of
Haggis, Vegemite (or was it Dolomite?), etc. As for the food on my Dad's plate,
it couldn't be simpler: Hoppin' John is simply a cooked mixture of rice and
peas ( with a little onion, spices and bacon grease to hold it together). Your
choice of pea is optional but purists insist on Field or Crowder Peas. It is a
very old dish and I have no clue how it got its name. Local tradition holds it
will bring good luck if eaten on New Years Day. Collards is a green in the
Cabbage family that grows all winter in the southern US. A classic southern
vegetable that is simmered for a few hours with smoked ham, onions, garlic and
a little vinegar. Consumed on New Years Day and it will bring you wealth
thoughout the year. I introduced them to my northern in-laws when I lived in
Rochester and now they beg for them. The third item on the plate is nothing but
grilled "Italian" sausage. Not traditional in these parts, just an ea
 sy thing to fix for a lot of company.
        Regarding the tree; you are absolutely right, though on this side of
the pond they are called Sycamores. And as you have probably figured out, the
"birds" are my three children. Anna (at the bottom) has been in two previous
TOPEs.

Charlie