[OM] Re: WTB: Vivitar 90-180mm

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB: Vivitar 90-180mm
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 12:17:22 -0800
>If anyone on the list has one of these old great lenses they would like to
>sell for a reasonable price please email me. I keep telling myself I don't
>need this heavy, not so fast lens, but I've given in. I've been searching
>on the net for a while now but can't find one in an OM mount.
>
>Best Regards,
>Paul

Paul,
I'm not selling mine but a couple of things to note (just so you won't get
surprised if you get one):

1. The mount has four screws on it that have the potential for damaging the
small switch on the mounting plate of the OM4.  I epoxied the offending
screw head, just like you'd do with the earlier Tamron adaptall II units.

2. The lens is subject to flaring.  The hood I was using may not have been
narrow enough and I recently picked one up that I hope will help.  I've done
some shots where I could swear that I had lighting that shouldn't have
produced the problem. It may be inherent to the complex design of the lens.

I will grab the Kiron 105 before I grab the Vivitar for most macro work.
But there are times when having the extra distance (1:2 @ 18 inches - 180mm)
is nice, like when you are shooting something skittish or when you are
skittish (shooting a black widow spider comes to mind).

It's big, IT'S HEAVY.

Jay

Hand me my costume
Please won't you pass me my mask
I have appointments I must keep with my past.

Bill Nelson - Beauty Secrets