[OM] Jan 1st woes...

Subject: [OM] Jan 1st woes...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 17:06:37 -0500
What an inauspicious start for the New Year's day photo session.  Since
it was cold I decided to drag out the original OM-1.  It hasn't had a
roll of film through it since JH CLA'd it several years ago.  Time to
practice with it and get ready for the Odyssey camera.

Thaw a roll of Provia frozen since time immemorial.  While waiting for
the thaw on the radiator try out the Winder 1.  Damn.  Doesn't work
right.  Shutter release lever not engaging properly.  Sometimes winder
doesn't shut off.  Just sits there and whirs.  Take it off.  Decide on a
lens.  Ah, the Kiron 28-105 would make the perfect walk around lens
today.  It's cold, dull and dreary outside and with only ISO 100 the
f/3.2 at the short end will be good to have.  Haven't used this lens
either in a long, long time.  Check the aperture.  Ooops.  It's stuck
wide open.  Ah, there.  It's working now.  Needed a little exercise to
free it up.  Mount it on the OM-1 and set it to f/16.  Open the camera
back to make sure I can see the lens closing down.  Kick the wind lever.
  What!!  The shutter fired all by itself as I was winding.  Try again!
  What!!  Try again a dozen more times.  Go get the 85/2 Zuiko.  Try it
out.  Works just fine.  OM-1 not firing on the wind.  Go get the 35-70
Zuiko.  Put it on the OM-1.  Works fine.  OM-1 still behaving as it
should.  Go get the OM-2s.  Put the Kiron on the OM-2s.  Kick the wind
lever.  What!  No self release.  Do it a dozen more times.  OM-2s works
fine with Kiron lens installed.  Kiron lens also closing down as it
should.  Reinstall the Kiron lens on OM-1.  Kick the wind lever.  Damn.
  There, it's firing itself again.  Again and again.  Arggghhh!!!
Consider taking 2s instead.  No, it's cold outside.  Take a mechanical
camera.  Grab small camera bag.  Take Tokina 17mm, Zuiko 24mm, Zuiko
35-70 and Kiron 70-150 instead of Kiron 28-105.  Too much stuff.  Too
much stuff.

Go take pictures while freezing arse off.  Use 35-70 for half and 24 for
most of the rest.  Hmmm.  Two frames left.  Light is fading fast. Let's
try the 17mm.  Oops.  Meter says f/3.5 max is already 1/3 stop too slow.
  No tripod available.  Shoot with the 17 anyhow.

Worry, worry, worry.  Brain is so conditioned to histograms it's no
longer sure of how to make a proper exposure.  Oh, well.  We'll see.

Cheers all and happy new year.
Chuck Norcutt