[OM] Re: FS - Auto Extension tubes & lens hood

Subject: [OM] Re: FS - Auto Extension tubes & lens hood
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:48:59 -0800
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

>In a message dated 12/29/2005 10:22:18 AM Central Standard Time,
>jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
>I'm  pretty sure there is a rubber clamp on hood marked specifically for use
>with the 50/1.2. I would have to look when I'm home to see how different
>they are.

My recollection is that the rubber hood specific to the 50/1.2 differs
from the others only in being of slightly wider body diameter, and
presumably, slightly greater body length for the same coverage. This
allows it to be reversed over the lens body just as the other hoods for
the 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 50/1.8 and 35-70/3.5-4.5 will fit over those lens
bodies when reversed.

Due to the slightly fatter body of the 50/1.2, the existing hoods
wouldn't reverse over the body, although they provide proper performance
in their primary role as hoods.

>The 55/1.2 had a very spiffy looking metal (black and  chrome) clamp on hood.
>I believe it was also specifically labeled for the  55/1.2
>
>I don't believe the (also spiffy looking) 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 50/1.8  metal clamp
>on hood is the same size as either of the two above.

No, it isn't. I don't know about the 55/1.2, but the only difference for
the 50/1.2 is in whether it will fit over the lens body when reversed,
not whether it will fit on the lens and work properly as a hood.

>Jeff, the hood I'm offering for sale is not labled as being the proper hood
>for either the 50mm f1.2 or the 35-70mm f3.5-4.5,

The "spiffy" metal hood fits and works correctly on the 35-70/3.5-4.5.
It also will fit over the lens in reversed position, although it is a
slightly snugger fit than is the rubber version. The tips of the rubber
focus grip and the hard ribbing inside the hood "interact" very
slightly. I'm sure the 35-70/3.5-4.5 isn't listed on the hood only for
the simple reason that the lens didn't exist until after the switch to
the rubber hood. Early versions of the rubber version don't list the
35-70/3.5-4.5, while later ones do. The versions are otherwise exactly
the same as far as I could tell from close inspection.

Moose