[OM] Re: What's wrong ?

Subject: [OM] Re: What's wrong ?
From: Komtanoo Pinpimai <romerun@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 01:37:46 -0600
> There are some perfectly decent pictures in the Fuji 100 scans you
> posted, in terms of brightness and color, when levels and color are
> corrected <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Komantoo/>. From
> the limited data at hand, that would make me suspect the scanning. But
> if you are getting proper scan results from other cameras, the problem
> has to be somewhere else. You aren't going to find it without some more
> controlled testing.

Winsor's and your readjusted pics make me realize the scanning
problem. In my scanning process, I would like pictures to be produced
exactly from what are in the films, so I disable all auto options like
exposure controls, auto focus, tone curve histogram, brightness
/contrast/color balance, hue/sat. This setting give me a colorful tone
in xprocessed films (scanning by professional shop gives a little
better result), so I had been believing since then that the setting
returns correct result...

I still couldn't find a setting that produces good color/exposure as
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Komantoo/, especially,
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Komantoo/pages/6a.htm. Could
you explain your adjustment ?

Since some pics such as http://rrboard.orisma.com/tmp/xxx/12.jpg looks
okay with the same scanning process, I wonder if I need to adjust all
scanned images, image by image in photoshop? The scanning software
from my scanner(Minolta DiImage Dual IV) has not many options to play,
one of my friends suggests "vue scan", has anybody ever heard it ?

> The best solution, of course, is to send the OM-1n to John or Clint for
> a CLA, and get it working just right. This can include conversion to use
> silver oxide batteries. In addition to having accurate meter and
> shutter, a newly CLAed OM-1(n) is a pure sensual pleasure to use, where
> old, dirty ones aren't. Everything works so smoothly and precisely,
> feels and sounds so gooood.
>
> Moose

Nice suggestion, having researched John camtech service, I feel like I
really need to send the 1n to be "overhauled" -- the
light-metering/shutter/apature should be working correctly and the 1n
should swallow the normal battery, but before that I think I need to
test a couple of rolls as your previous suggestions.

-thanks much
kem.