[OM] Re: E-1 Noise reduction and filter

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 Noise reduction and filter
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 12:08:09 -0600
On 12/23/05, Supat S. <eancho@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> hi,
>
> what is the different between noise reduction and filter?
>
> what would be the setting on both for taking picture most of the time?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ocean

Noise filter in the E-1 menu might be appropriate if you plan to shoot
at high ISOs.  Personally, I never use it, as I rarely shoot above ISO
200.  I once or twice have used some noise reduction software in
post-processing on E-1 images, though more often on digital scans from
film.  That works very well.  If you must have no noise in your
capture and always evaluate your photos at 200% pixels, shoot at 200
ISO or lower, or get a Can*n.  (If you need a reality check, shoot
some ISO 200 print film.  It has about the same amount of noise as the
E-1 at ISO 800.)

Noise reduction in the E-1 menu is for noisy artifacts that creep into
a very long exposures.  For example:

http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/up/upbond6.jpg

This image is about a 20-30 second exposure.  Instead of using
in-camera noise reduction, I used Noiseware Community Edition
(freeware) to clean it up.  It did not clean up perfectly, so I have
to say that I wish I had evaluated how well noise reduction would have
worked, but under the circumstances I was just trying to get some
exposures on the card before the light was gone.  It's definitely
something to experiment with!  If you are planning a trip to a slot
canyon, it would pay to investigate this feature.

So the difference between the two features is that noise filter is for
high ISO noise, and noise reduction is for long-exposure noise.  What
is the difference between one type noise and another?  I don't really
know, but they are definitely somewhat different in the end, and the
long-exposure noise is more dire, IMO, since it appears as clumped and
firey pixels which it is hard for noise reduction software to treat
without also removing important detail in the photo at the same time.

Joel W.