[OM] Re: (OM) Seen on TV, bird photos OT?

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) Seen on TV, bird photos OT?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 18:03:30 +1300
Jez wrote

> My math(s) results in: 10000 images - 76 keepers = 9924 deleted...
> br
> Jez
> On 12/15/05, Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> <snip>
> to photograph all the ? 76 (feathered) birds that may be found inside the
> city boundary. <snip> He took 10,000 images in the quest.
                =|(;-)>

Now pay attention Jez. <grin>  You obviously didn't the first time !.
And did you visit the URL I provided?
http://www.otagomuseum.govt.nz/coming_soon_city_birds_a_dunedin_focus.
html

Nothing wrong with the maths - but the logic underlying the unstated
inference is something else !!

The guy is a good photographer for a regional newspaper. As a result of this
body of work he won a major photographic prize as an accidental
consequence. This has to indicate real excellence.

I haven't seen this exhibition yet and may miss it since it is 200 miles away
and closes about 25 January, but it has been running for about 6 months and
weekly attendances easily top the previous best for the museum which was
5 Chinese excellent dinosaur skellingtons (sic). I know the museum and the
space they will have used for this one is about 5 large spaces.  Six months
is a long time for an exhibition to run in this museum and may indicate the
excellence and the demand.

There are only ?76 species of bird found in the city, but the 4 images shown
in the URL are stunning, and I'd be surprised if there were fewer than several
hundred (or more) excellent keepers.

The four shots I have seen have not only excellent composition, focus,
exposure etc, but include some special moment - activity. That doesn't come
easily. Least of all with birds.
Maybe my sentence was misleading, as I wrote "76 birds" when I intended
"76 species of bird".

Anyway, the "partner" of a nephew of mine has a senior post at the museum,
and they are coming up to Christchurch next week, with a copy of the book
about the exhibition, for me. At just less than $NZ 20, it should be good
value.  I'll let you know how many shots are in the book. Actually, as a result
of my family reunion activity, I have promised two ancient and close relatives
down that way and who I have never met at all, that I will call on them in the
New Year. I might make the trip a day longer and take in the exhibition.

I still have to go to the Ansel Adams exhibition in this city - might do it
tomorrow.

Brian