[OM] Re: Olympus Odyssey - it's finished

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus Odyssey - it's finished
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:02:23 +1300
Hi all,

I am also very disappointed the Odyssey is over, even though it was going to
be about 2 years before I saw the camera.  The idea is a great one. Thanks
for starting it Andrew, and all the inspiring work on the web-site.

Somebody (sorry, I now forget who (CRS on my part)) asked about a
Summer (Northern Hemisphere) Solstice print exchange.   I think that is
unlikely; there were many comments around the time of the last one that
Robert Gries ran, that were to the effect that everybody would be too busy in
the middle of the northern hemisphere summer and getting vacations
organised, to bother/manage a print exchange then.  So in consideration of
that, Steve Dropkin and I decided it would be a Winter Solstice exchange
only, so people could not fall back on that excuse.

One part of the Solstice exchange concept is that there is no shooting period
or subject limitation, so that reduces any handicap even more. Use any
photo you have ever taken on OM gear and really like. So you just grab the
negative/transparency, get a print run off, make a scan and send it to me,
and the job's done. More or less. Removes another excuse for delay.

I also decided that I didn't want to call for entrants first. This removed
another
source of frustration; people who join, then for whatever reason fail to send
(me in this case) an image for online use.  So for this Exchange, Steve and I
agreed that the entry ticket would be a submitted image (as for TOPE).
Submit an image and you are in; no image and you are not. Very good for
my blood pressure.

Cheers,

Brian Swale