[OM] Re: OT English as she is spoke

Subject: [OM] Re: OT English as she is spoke
From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:21:13 +0100
>Sounds suspiciously post-modern to me! It is a fact that misuse and
>outright error are occasionally contagious, especially among the less
>well educated (code for 'dim'). Horrors such as the usage 'could of
>been', 'alot'  and the like are not examples of fresh and dynamic
>language development - they are just plain wrong and I will continue
>to put a red circle around them as is my inclination and my
>professional responsibility.
>So there.
>AndrewF

I couldn't agree more. However, I'm afraid these horrors are one of the way
languages have evolved in the past, and continue to evolve: not through a good
understanding of words and their formation, but through dim-witted usage.

I will nevertheless continue to put a red circle around such awful mistakes - I
have even been flamed on dpreview for mentioning that "their" was not the same
as "they are" - dpreview, not the best of places to speak up on such topics, I
know ;-)

Bernard