[OM] Re: OT English as she is spoke

Subject: [OM] Re: OT English as she is spoke
From: Robert Swier <robert.swier@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:46:37 -0500
If the person who wrote those words was a native speaker of English, then he
or she isn't wrong. Whether an utterance is acceptable or not can only be
judged by whether or not it is acceptable to a native speaker (or, group of
native speakers). Native speakers do not make consistent mistakes, by
definition.

It is only by examining how native speakers use a language that we know
anything about a language at all. They can't be wrong (consistently). If two
native speakers disagree, then they speak different versions of the
language.

Cheers,
Robert Swier
Toronto