[OM] Re: [OM][OT] Further chillies and hot and spicey musings

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM][OT] Further chillies and hot and spicey musings
From: "Paul Laughlin" <pelaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 20:23:47 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 7:22 PM

> Another US creation is nachos. I first encountered them in Houston
> around 1980. They were rather carefully made little hors d'oevre, each
> individually made with a chip and carefully placed toppings. A far cry
> from the chips with a gooey cheese appearing product poured over them of
> ballparks, etc.

My first encounter with nachos was in the mid '70s at the Paquime
restaurante in Palomas Mexico.  A small border town south of Deming, New
Mexico.  They were made by placing a slice of jalapeno on the tortilla chip
and then placing some kind of goat cheese on it.  The cheese was then
melted.  They were really good with Tecate beer.  We used to run down
there,from Silver City, for dinner once in a while.  They made a Chile con
Queso T-bone steak that was great.  Spread chopped mild green chiles on
after it is broiled and then melt a good cheddar cheese over it.  MMMMM
Good.  I do it sometimes with pork shoulder steaks.
Paul in Portland OR