[OM] Re: Monaco Optix XR

Subject: [OM] Re: Monaco Optix XR
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:08:32 -0600
On 11/28/05, Piers Hemy <piers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's hard for me to answer your question objectively, Joel, because we
> didn't discuss the other product, so anything I say is simply my impression.
> Further, the same distributor handles both products, so you would hardly
> expect tech support to bad-mouth either product.  The context was my comment
> that the Optix/EZColor documentation was a bit shallow, but tech support had
> fully recovered the position, and I would be sure to pass on the good news
> to this list, given (a) recent interest in profiling products and (b) some
> less-than-wholly-laudatory comments about the Spyder. The 'response@ to the
> latter point gave me the feeling that tech support had plenty more
> experience with support for that product; weren't at all surprised by its
> reputation; and were not willing to jump to its defence.  But that was just
> my impression from little more than a grunt, your impression might have
> varied.
>
> --
> Piers

Thanks Piers.  I have all but ignored any discussion related to pucks
for the past few years, so the apparent decline of Colorvision is new
to me.  My last experience with their support was by email when I
requested an upgrade of my original Colorvision profiling software
(the original Horses Matchlock, in fact) to work with Windows XP.  The
upgrade was free but my old license number would not work with the
upgrade and I had to go through several rounds of email with a support
person before she could get me a number that would work with the
product.  I wouldn't say this person was a delight to work with, but
she was responsive and they made no money on the round of discussion.
I fully expected to be told I needed to buy the new product, and I
really do actually think they would have been within their rights to
say that and I was steeled for it.  So hats off for that, at least.

I suppose I will need to pay more attention to this since my next
monitor is likely to be LCD and my proto-Spyder is for CRT only.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

Joel W.