[OM] Re: 50 mm 1.4 advice

Subject: [OM] Re: 50 mm 1.4 advice
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 07:23:30 -0600
On 11/27/05, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> USHER99@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >Purchased what I had expected to be the sharpest ver of this lens from the
> >Bay---2nd purchase.  The sn pictured was 1,150,XXX or so and I received
> >758,XXX.
> > It is in mint condition with clean glass etc.--possibly slightly better
> >condition than the lens pictured.  It has GZuiko printed on the front ring. I
> >would guess it is the SC version as there is no designation to the contrary.
> >paid approx. $50.00 which might be a bit much for an SC version.  I contacted
> >the seller-no response as of yet.  Given the highish sn, could this lens be
> >quite a good ver?  I'm inclined to send it back, as I don't really collect
> >lenses
> >I don't wish to use often, though I haven't yet met a lens I didn't like.
> >

> Downside: It isn't what you bought. It is two versions earlier, at
> least. It isn't worth $50.
>
> Upside: It's in your hands, It's a good lens in mint condition. Returns
> are a hassle. It's not worth that much less than $50.
>
> You know the options...
>
> Moose

As long as you have it, I'd shoot with it a bit.  I traded a SC 50/1.4
for an MC one a few years ago and I immediately missed the SC (i.e.,
G.Zuiko) version.  Some intangible quality.  Don't base everything on
someone else's tests, even Gary's, especially when you've got the
beastie in your grasp.

Joel W.